August 24, 2009

Steel City

This past weekend Nick and I spent time with my mom and our family in Pittsburgh, PA. We were given wonderful tours of the city by my cousin, Dennis. We were able to see the city and I was able to spend some time with my family. The first night we took a driving tour of downtown Pittsburgh. We ended the evening at the top of Mt. Washington, which is a hill over looking the entire city. It was a beautiful way to end our first night in the Steel City. In the morning we ventured over to the Strip-a bustling street of shops and vendors. They had everything from Polish delis to a fish market. The sights, sounds and smells of it were overwhelming in the best way. From there we went to the famous restaurant/bar The Original Oyster House. This legendary tavern known for its huge but delicious fish sandwiches, is Pittsburgh's oldest restaurant and a personal favorite of my mom's. After spending a wonderful night at my cousin Kathy's we went over to Ohiopyle- a park highlighted by a beautiful waterfall. From there we made our way over to Frank Loyd Wright's masterpiece Falling Water. We took a tour of the grounds and learned about the house and the original owners, the Kauffmans. Pittsburgh was even better than I remember it and it was great to see my family on our last stop!

1 comment:

  1. Sighhhhhh.... Makes me long for home. Sounds like you're having a great time inthe Burg. Try Permanti (sp?) Bros. while you're there. The sandwiches are awesome. Continued safe travels.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete