August 13, 2009

Lake Travis

Yesterday was definitely our most adventure-filled day yet. Before leaving Austin, TX we stopped by St. Edward's University, which happens to be my Uncle Ray's Alma Mater. From then we went on to Lake Travis. We camped at Pace Ben Park, a 1,300-acre lot right on the lake. Pace Ben Park is perfect for wildlife-watching and swimming by the beach. However, during our trip Nick and I spent most of the day stuck in the beach. We decided to drive down to the beach and park right at the water's edge before swimming, like the other campers. I thought my Jetta could handle it-WRONG! As we were leaving we quickly became engulfed in sand and found ourselves stuck. A park ranger came by and assisted Nick as he spent a good hour trying to dig us out. With no luck, it looked like we were going to have to call a tow truck but finally, a friendly stranger came to our rescue and pulled us out with his pick-up. Even though the armadillos kept me up all night and I nearly lost my car to the beach, we had an amazing time at Lake Travis! It's only forty-five minutes west of Austin so it's a must-see for anyone in the area. Now we're at Las Cruces, New Mexico, a pit stop before Arizona. Below are some pictures from last night including a short video of our beach rescue...I guess VW's aren't meant for beach cruising.



3 comments:

  1. I am glad you got out of the sand! Have a safe trip today to Yuma! Give Kevin, Di, and Syd big hugs for us all!!!!! Enjoy the rest of the adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nick,

    Did you here that Vick is going to play for the Eagles???

    This is good, as Vick Loves Eagles...

    ...a little barbeques sauces, cook them on the grill>>>

    DAD

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhh hahahahaha love it!

    ReplyDelete